The H.R. Clarkson Trophy
Henry Clarkson (known as Bert) who attended the first meeting on 3rd September 1953 when the 10/- (50p) notes were donated, became the club's first treasurer. He presented the H.R. Clarkson cup in 1955 and it is now awarded in the Lark fleet.
Bert would never let the committee spend a shilling if a penny would do, or better still, an approach to a member to try for a free supply! When racing first started, the club had no funds and the opening day's programme was sold for 1d a copy. For each race in the early days competitors put 1 shilling (5p) into a box to cover the cost of cartridges for the starting guns and for prizes.
Bert sailed GP 14 ‘Luna II' sail number 578, often crewed by his daughters Anne and Jane. Bert and his wife Madeleine, when on holiday in the Isle of Wight, called on Uffa Fox and started the process that led to Uffa Fox opening SSSC and becoming its Patron. Bert's future son-in-law, Derek Spencer, an accountant, later became the club's auditor for many years.
Links between SSSC and Uffa Fox are numerous as Peter Waine sailed with Uffa in the early 1930s in International 14 footers and other Solent classes.